The ProtoWizard is an adapter system from Cutting Edge which aims to give the Roland JWX-10 and MDX-40 the capability to produce wax ring blanks. With the arrival of the JWX-30 with its integrated rotary axis and flip mechanism, and the end-of-lifing of the JWX-10, the ProtoWizard has become largely a legacy tool.
The Protowizard may still be used with the MDX-40 as an economical multi-purpose milling system. The MDX-40 will be current as a Roland model for the forseeable future. However, due to the difficulties some customers have had with the protowizard setup we (3DTechnics) recommend that customers purchase the JWX-30 instead, unless they are particularly mechanically inclined.
- Protowizard Kit
The protowizard kit includes the protowizard software, ring clamp, ring arbor, extension clamps. This basic kit will get you going with a stock JWX-10 or MDX-40 machine. $2250.00
- Machine Wizard Software
This utility replaces the Roland operations panel and dropout window. It includes speed override capabilities not present in the Roland panels. $325.00
- Cutting Edge Rotary Axis
This replacement Rotary axis reduces the inherent rotary axis skew and slop present when using the combination of the Roland rotary axis and the ProtoWizard fixture. $1500.00
- Cutting Edge Tool Sensor
This replacement Tool Sensor is designed to reduce tool breakage. I've never seen a tool break yet with the current sensor if you keep it clean, but apparently there is a need for this replacement unit in some situations according to Cutting Edge. $450.00.
- Three Sided Combo Fixture
This is modeled after the new JWX-30 fixture, combining the Left/Right and Rotary cutting fixtures into one unit. $350.00.
- MDX-40 Replacement Table
This gives you a complete Protowizard solution. At $4000 however, you're better off buying a JWX-30 instead of the MDX-40/ProtoWizard Table.
- Protowizard 4.0 Upgrade
Cutting Edge has the 4.0 Upgrade available for the Protowizard. $275. So far Cutting Edge hasn't posted a changelog. I'd hold off purchasing this unless there is a clear reason to upgrade, which I don't see yet.
|protowizard basic kit||machine wizard||rotary axis||tool sensor||replacement table||3-sided combo|
ProtoWizard Software Stages:
|ring setup||core tab||tool database||rough toolpath||finish toolpath|
|od finish||toolpath post||macro insert||customize|
- Fixture Setup: fixture_setup.wmv
- Full 3-sided Ring: full_three_sided_ring.wmv
- Split Ring Process in Rhino: split_ring.wmv
- Protowizard FAQ: protowizard_faq.pdf
- Protowizard Workshop: protowizard_workshop.pdf
- Protowizard Fixtures: protowizard_fixtures.pdf
- Protowizard Setup Short: protowizard_setup_short.pdf
- Protowizard Install Set: protowizard_installation.zip
- Protowizard Software Intro: protowizard_software_intro.pdf
- Protowizard Y-axis alignment: protowizard_y_axis_alignment.pdf
- Protowizard Z-origin adjustment: protowizard_z_origin_adjustment.pdf
- Machine Wizard 1.00: machine_wizard-v1.00.exe
- Protowizard Setup 220.127.116.11: protowizard_setup-v18.104.22.168.exe
- Protowizard Setup MDX-40: protowizard_setup_mdx-40.zip
- Protowizard Setup JWX-10: protowizard_setup_jwx-10.zip
- GCODE Core Files: core_gcode.zip